Home's cool, so Home School!

Hi. This is Romy's Home Education blog. Read about her adventures here...

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Image hosted by ImageShack
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Friday, November 04, 2005

A caterpillar in the fridge!

Last night we used up the last of our organic veggies before the new box came today. I got the broccoli from the fridge and started cutting off the florets. All of a sudden I saw something green and wiggly which made me jump out of my skin! The bloody caterpillar had been living in the fridge on the broccili for six days!! Bleurgh :op' So the upshot is that we now have a pet caterpillar in a jar and I'll be more careful about checking the veg before I put it away from now on, lol. The box today is full of stuff I can't identify. Call me thick (you're thick Hazel!) but what on earth are those red root things that look like ginger? Answers on a postcard please.

On Weds Roo went with Colin to the museum to wash and classify all the artefacts they found whilst fieldwalking the other month. Romy had an absolute ball and came back filthy but happy. They're going again in a couple of weeks. I didn't get much done while they were out; just washed the pots and did a bit of crocheting.

We finished The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and have started The Horse and His Boy. Roo is loving this one already, probably because of the talking horses, lol. I gave her the choice of starting that or having a rest and reading Fairy Treasure by Gwyneth Reese. She chose the Narnia book! Now as anyone who knows Romy will know, Fairies come pretty high on her list of favourite things in the world, so she must have the Narnia bug bad. I blame Colin. It's in the genes, all that D&D stuff :o)

We wrote our review for the book 'Connor's Eco Den' for Education Otherwise the other day. It's a really good book actually. Usually we get sent odd ones and I have to try and write a carefully worded review saying it was rubbish, lol.

Have just got a lovely parcel delivered from Amazon; Alex Parks' new album 'Honesty' and two great books; Circle Round: Raising Children in the Goddess Tradition and Celebrating the Great Mother: A Handbook of Earth-honoring Activities for Parents and Children I looked through them at my friend's house at the weekend and just had to buy them asap. Lots of reading and fun things to do then!

Yesterday, we did lots of 'schooly' stuff. Maths, English, reading, art and history. We read a cool book called Vile Vikings from the Smelly History range. It has scratch 'n' sniff panels (some of which I REALLY didn't want to whiff!) We learnt lots and were particularly horrified at the practice of sacrificing slaves, horses and dogs to send with 'important' people to the afterlife :o(

4 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Sounds like a busy and successful day :-)

6:52 AM  
Blogger Jayne said...

Jerusalem arichokes ????

9:28 AM  
Blogger Hazel said...

Oooh, thank you!!!! Google imaged it and yes, they are!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Em said...

yum jeruselem artichoke soup.....yummy!!!

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home