Home's cool, so Home School!

Hi. This is Romy's Home Education blog. Read about her adventures here...

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker Image hosted by ImageShack
My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The hardest decision to make :o((((

I hardly know how to write this, so I'd just better do it... We've decided to find a new home for Tilly. We feel like complete failures and there have been many tears and doubts but there are many good reasons for the decision. It isn't just a whim. I am so not the sort of person who does this, but then Tilly isn't your normal everyday dog. She has special needs that we just aren't catering for properly. We have neither the time nor the space that she needs so she's frustrated and boisterous (well, that's the understatement of the decade!) Colin and I are so stressed it's unbelievable and I know it's not helping my arrythmia. Romy has fought it all the way but, bless her, yesterday she finally realised that it would be the best thing for Tilly. She's been so grown up. I'm really proud of her.

We got her a year ago when she was only five months old. She was born on a farm in Devon and her parents are working sheep dogs. She was the runt of the litter and has a few disabilities (epilepsy, cateracts, deformities) and was going to be put to sleep. She is a wonderful dog. She's brilliant with Romy and the guinea pigs but she just wants to be off running and playing and we don't have the time to train her like she desperately needs. She's so intelligent it's unreal and would be capable of anything. Agility or flyball would be perfect.

Anyway, I rang a Border Collie rescue place today and the lady said she'd pass Tilly's details on to a woman in Scunthorpe who finds homes for BC's. She said she may already have a home waiting - gulp. It feels real now. After weeks and weeks of talking about it. I feel like crap, but oddly at peace. I know it's the right thing for Tilly and we've done the best that we can. She'll be so happy with other dogs and working/playing. She'll be in her element. Just feels crummy to be one of those people who gives their dog away :o((((((( Ho-hum... I can't imagine what we'll feel like when the moment comes to hand her over.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

Don't be so awful to yourself. You're a better owner than most - you know what's best for your dog and you're doing it. I've seen dogs kept in totally unsuitable houses/situations, 'because we love him too much to give him away'. I think you're being very brave and very loving, and if you ask, maybe whoever rehomes Tilly will be willing to send Romy a card and/or photo of her when she's settled!

And that means there'll be room for another guinea pig in 3 or 4 months...

2:18 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

What she said, better than I can. With much hugs. xx

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home